OCTOBER 29, 2014
It is now almost certain that President Goodluck Jonathan will contest for the presidential ticket of the PDP in December.
Now there has been a flurry of sponsored, deliberate, albeit desperate moves to muffle the wise counseling offered by His Royal Highness, the former Emir of Gwandu, Major Mustapha Jokolo (rtd), to President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, that the Vice President, Arc. Namadi Sambo is a political liability with no electoral value.
Jokolo has stated this with no malice to the good person of the Vice President, nor did he used abusive words on the number two citizen.
Jokolo merely stated a truth that cannot be smothered by harassment or intimidation.
Sambo may have nice personal qualities, but he is an irretrievably failed politician who has relied mainly on fate to reach his present position. He lacks the political skills and personal charisma to harness his present job into good political fortunes for his Party, the PDP. He surrounds himself with persons of opaque characters and is totally removed from the main swath of northern electorates.
We call on President Jonthan to heed to Jokolo’s advice due to the following:
1) Arc. Namadi Sambo is of zero electoral value. He has lost every election in his polling polling booth since he became number 2 citizen in 2010. He has lost every election is ward and in his Local Government since he became Vice President. In the 2011 presidential election, Sambo was booed by a throng of voters when he came to vote at his Gambarou voting unit in Unguwan Rimi GRA, Kaduna. That means that even on the street that he resides, he exerts no influence.
2) If Sambo claims to be the Political leader of the North, we who form the Middle Belt do no feel it. He has never initiated one meeting with any of our groups. He has never even visited any of our traditional rulers and we cannot point at any Federal project that he influenced for us. He has never visited any community in Southern Kaduna to commiserate with them after 44 bloody invasions. He has not do so in areas that suffer same fates in Plateau, Nasarawa, Benue, Taraba Southern Bauchi etc. Such a person cannot influence any vote for the President in these areas.
3) The rebellion by some northern governors against Jonathan is largely because Sambo is deficit in respect and clout to forge their unity the same way that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar did under former President Olusegun Obasanjo. Why should President Jonathan keep this man who has seen to such negative development?
4) The 19 northern states of Nigeria have never been this divided, all under the watch of Sambo and the PDP in the north has lost much fortunes.
5) In Southern Kaduna, which Sambo virtually neglected when he was governor, his name stirs negative passion. For him to be fielded again as Jonathan’s running mate come 2015, is to finally push the area to the warm embrace of the fast encroaching APC.
We want to make it clear that Southern Kaduna Volunteers for Good Governance is not campaigning for anybody. We are just stating the fact, as concerns indigenes of Kaduna state and Nigerians.
Please Jonathan drop Sambo now
Dr Garba Jatau Billiok.